Thursday, May 07, 2009

All is Well, Just busy and tired

I know it has been far too long since my last post. Molly has been keeping us busy. She has adjusted very well to school and this past week increased from 2 to 3 days per week. We have not seen a lot of peer to peer interaction yet, but I know that will come with time. She has been wonderful at engaging the adults and now we are all working on keeping her safe (which means being close by) but allowing her to observe the classroom without adult interaction (still a work in progress).

I slowly worked my way to out of the classroom and down the hall. It was very stressful in the beginning to be worrying about her the whole time we were apart, but I am finally relaxing more and more now that I feel comfortable knowing that they understand Molly's unique needs and risks. This past week I left the school grounds for the first time and ventured 2 miles away. It was wonderful to have a few hours to myself without the constant worry of where Molly was and what she was up to.

Molly and I headed up to Maine at the end of last month to attend my Uncle Tommy's memorial service (he died at 57 from what we think was congestive heart failure). Molly and I also made a trek to Montreal to go see the doctors at the Shriners hospital. She has been complaining of pain in her back and has also been mentioning that her neck "feels weird sometimes". We met with Dr. Glorieux, the doctor who first started treating OI children with the osteoperosis drug - Pamidronate - that has helped Molly so much. We had x-rays taken of her back and neck and found that she crushed one of her vertebrea when she fell about a month ago. Her back still looks straight and her neck looked fine. Whew! I was so relieved to hear that for now both her neck and back looked good.

We have been exhausted by the end of the day lately and so I will need to work on finding time to write more often about the funny things that she does and says. Her teacher, Ms. Lynn, had larangitis last week and ever since Molly has been saying "I am going to change my voice.... there I think I changed it, but I'm not sure". Today she told her new aide, Miss Teigh, that she lost her voice... they looked and Molly thought it might be in her shoe, but it was moving too fast for her to get it! I need to start carrying pen and paper with me to capture more of the funny things she says. Three is a very fun age, but extremely exhausting. She is battling with us throughout the day and by the end of the day Jim and I just want to collapse!

I will leave you with a statement an injured veteran said on Extreme Home Makeover that I thought was a good goal... "One person can make a difference and I think everyone should try."

No comments: