Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ups and Downs

I just finished writing a post about how Molly improved and an hour later she woke up crying.  I went up and she complained that she hurt her arm and was crying.  This was almost too much for me to handle.  I rocked her and she calmed down.  When I stood up to take her downstairs she whimpered and said her arm hurt.  I brought her down and she begged me not to put her down because it would hurt.  I have learned that it is easier to keep her comfortable when she is sitting on her own and so I put her on her "Elmo couch".  I told her I was going to get her medicine and asked her if it hurt a lot or a little and she cried and said a lot.  It was devastating to hear her in so much pain.  She kept her arm limp at her side.  I asked her to point to where it hurt, but she wasn't willing (or able) to.  

I assumed the fracture was at the same spot as the fracture 9 weeks ago and so I put the splint on the upper arm to see if that made her any more comfortable.  She didn't seem much better or worse with it on.  Our wonderful neighbor, Lori, came over to play with her and read books, which helped raise both our spirits and Molly seemed to be doing well.  We decided to go and have an X-Ray taken just to be sure things were OK, since there isn't a rod in the arm.

It has been a long and emotional week and I hope that Molly has a better week next week.

No comments: