Friday, May 04, 2007

The Process Continues

Molly is doing better each and every day. She is now moving both legs well. She can lift them all the way to a perpendicular while on her back. She is rolling (some), but still isn't mobile in anyway. I am hoping that she will begin to work on crawling, but that might take a bit more healing time. We shall see.

She has a small pressure sore forming on her right leg. It doesn't look like much right now, but I'm hoping to minimize it as best I can and hopefully prevent it from getting worse.

I gave her a bath yesterday that went well until I picked her up. I don't know whether the towel was the problem or something else, but it was difficult to hear her cry in pain. I know that all we can do is try and minimize her pain to the best of our ability, but it is still difficult to hear her cry in pain, especially while I am the one doing something with her. I know that some of her crying is just because she is a normal kid and that she gets fussy like all kids do, but it is hard to separate when she is being fussy from when she is hurting. There are certainly times when I know it is one or the other, but there are lots of other times that I just don't know what the problem is.

She is getting more and more "talkative" by the minute babbling at her toys etc. It is absolutely adorable! She is gushing with personality. She is a fun little kid and I am enjoying this new means of interaction.

We have less than 2 weeks until her X-Rays and hopefully it will be soon after that that we will be able to take off the splints - HOORAY!! I take them off a couple of times a day to work a little on moving her knee and foot around and that has been going well with not a lot of complaint. She also doesn't complain when I put them back on, so my guess is that she still is liking having them on. She is quite good at letting us know what she does and doesn't like (in her own way), so I'm sure she will let me know when she doesn't want the splints on anymore :).

On another note, a family that adopted a little boy with severe OI has been nominated for an Extreme Home Makeover with ABC. If you have a moment to sign the petition I know that the family would greatly appreciate it. We met this little boy and his family at the conference. He is 7 and has at least as much personality as Molly. He is happy most of the time and has been through a lot. He fractures every month still and has a lot of deformity. He has been nominated by Easter Seals to transform their home so that Jake has some independence. The adoptive family has had him since he was less than a month old and already had 6 grown children of their own. Here is the link CLICK HERE to sign the petition It really is an easy form to complete (30-60 seconds).

No comments: