Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Making New Developmental Strides

I had a meeting with Early Intervention today to discuss Molly's developmental goals and successes. As I was telling them that Molly hasn't been doing a lot of babbling she started babbling up a storm. She has continued to babble all day, hooray!

The OT had me working on a bunch of milestones with Molly, with very little success. I tried working on some of them today and she got it on the first try. It is nice to have these small successes. I was feeding her yogurt and she started having a tantrum, I couldn't figure out what she was upset about and finally determined that she wanted the spoon. She started feeding herself with a surprisingly high success rate. After a little while she decided that it was easier to just stick her hands in the yogurt and eat it off her hands, so she is obviously not quite ready to spoon feed herself, but we are one step closer.

It was hard meeting with the OT week after week and having them set goals that involved me working on skills that Molly had no interest in like stacking blocks, putting things into a container, etc. It is nice to finally have some success without a lot of tedious drilling.

I am not sure if these new found successes can be attributed to her just being older, or whether the pain medication is allowing her to progress and do the things most kids are doing at her age.

I am hoping that her progress will continue after we stop the pain medication.

Today was a great day in Molly-Land.

No comments: